Saturday, January 12, 2008

Unfuck the World - From Kathryn Blume's Boycott



Click the yellow button.
Default-tiny unfuck-the-world imported by AKRaven

I had no idea what we were going to see. Friends called, they had extra tickets, did we want to go? But I like the intimacy of Cyrano's and we wanted to see our friends, so sure.

It didn't start out well for me. This woman (Kathryn Blume) walked out onto the pretty empty, stage with the painted floor. You can see it in the picture before the performance. As she started to tell her story, it came across stagy, rather than genuine. I hate that. But as she continued I started getting used to it, and I think it also got more real sounding. It was funny because all the voices she did sounded more real than her own voice. Huh?

Well, there were two stories going on. First was the Kathryn Blume telling us how and why she wrote this play - basically she felt she had to do something about Global Warming. She'd write a movie that would star George Clooney and Susan Sarandon, the First Lady who starts a national women's Boycott of sex until the President signs the Rio Treaty on climate change.







The second story is the movie itself, which she acts out - a whole slew of characters including a frog. The onstage action switches between the two stories. But it all came together for me at one point when one of the characters challenges us all to "unfuck the world." That is, I realized, what the environmental movement is all about. And then there it was as a song. After the play the song was on the speakers again, so I caught enough on my camera to put it up here.


I wasn't sure the sound was good so I bought a CD when I left. I was feeling a little bad about posting the music from the CD, but I did buy the CD. But I looked at www.arthurblume.com and there was the song out in the world for anyone to download. So that was a better way to go.

Kathryn did get her own voice much more natural and the play manages to get a global warming message out and be funny at the same time. It'll be here through January 27 at Cyrano's.

1 comment:

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.