Friday, March 14, 2008

Saturday Morning Birds

Between the cicadas and the bird songs, and some background hammers for percussion, our Saturday concert goes on and on. With various birds making cameo appearances.



There were a number of birds I couldn't catch on camera and flitted in and out so quickly or just far enough that it was hard to even know what they were. And I still haven't gotten the low Toop Toop Toop Toop call of the coucal, but it's out there all the time, so one day I'll get it. I'm pretty sure this is a greater coucal. It's hard to tell exactly how big it is without a lesser nearby to compare, but it seemed pretty big. And we didn't see any white streaks in the wing feathers.

And again, I think the birds in the video are black drongos - there were some greater racket tails flying around again, but getting them in flight with their long tails is a challenge.



2 comments:

  1. WOW those cicadas are roaring! I looked up my book to see if we have Coucals here and found you have helped me identify a bird photographed a couple of days ago - a Pheasant Coucal! Won't be posted for ages, but guess what - no tail in those shots either! HAHA That other bird does look like a Drongo ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous Steve, you get a Saturday morning with the birds and I have to spend my Saturday morning listening to a Ted Stevens shuck-and-jive. DZ

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.