Thursday, May 22, 2008

Fixing Flats #3: Fate or Coincidence?

My last post on flat tires was April 8. (Though not necessarily my last flat post.) Getting it fixed led to finding things, people, and places we might not otherwise have seen.

There seemed to be some larger purpose for today's flat too. It didn't happen until I was within blocks of where I was supposed to meet Brendan for lunch, so it was easy to push the bike and still be on time. After lunch we walked together a ways and then I headed toward the transit center on 6th and G.

There was a bus, sitting out the green light right there at the corner, giving me time to get a green and cross in front of it and see that it indeed was a #2 bus that would drop me within 200 yards of my house. I'd never had cause to use the bike rack on the front of the bus and the driver came out to show me the release lever and how to lock the wheel in. I got on the bus and off it went. Mind you, at that time of day, these buses go once an hour.



As I got on the bus I saw James, someone I had on my to call list, who I hadn't seen since probably last October. We sat together and caught up - nothing major except he's getting married next week! I couldn't help but think about how the flat had gotten me onto this bus so I could see James. I know that statisticians could show me that it was all within the probability of coincidence, but it is eerie.




I got home fine, found my patch kit, found the hole. Well, it turned out there were two holes, and got the tire fixed for my evening meeting.





But I do think having little tire repair shops scattered all over the place where someone else will fix it in a few minutes for 20 baht (60¢) would be nice too.

1 comment:

  1. the series of picture reminds me to a movie which ends with happy end.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.