Saturday, January 10, 2009

Better Insults

Dick Cavett writes in a New York Times opinion piece:

There are two kinds of insult. “I was bored by your book” is one kind. “Your book? Once I put it down, I couldn’t pick it up,” is the other.
Unfortunately, too many comments on blogs are of a third variety, "Your book *&%%!!(sucks!" So my challenge to bloggers and commenters is this: If you must insult someone, do it with panache. When you've written your angry response, stop. Delete it. Then attempt to rewrite it like the second one above about the book.

The longer it takes the recipient to realize that he was insulted, the better the insult.

Note: The NY Times online is free. If you can't get the link, you may have to register.

3 comments:

  1. I read the article. That Churchill anecdote is quite famous. I may sound simple but the only difference between the two is that I may smile on one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't read some blogs and on-line comment sections for the all too often rude attacks found there. It's much more enjoyable to read moderated posts. I can say that it's not strong ideas I object to, but strong words chosen to offend arising from thoughtlessness. A clever retort is always best, if only we would all agree to achieve such a lofty goal.

    It's been cold here in London the past week, around freezing! I have a nephew in Thailand right now for the next several weeks. Good luck on getting your battery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a post and I hope this helps you to understand the gas crisis here better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.