Monday, March 09, 2009

Bangkok Farmers' Demonstration

[Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3pm Thai time]
J and I managed to get over to where my colleagues and the farmers they work with are demonstration. They were originally scheduled to go home tonight, but a group of the demonstrators are supposed to be meeting the prime minister tomorrow, so they aren't sure how long they are staying. But we're headed home tonight. I've written about some of the issues in previous posts. I'll just put up the pictures now.

We got there after they marched to Government House today, so no action shots.

We wandered into the Southern Thai part first.
They were happy to show me their sign and have me photograph it.
Then the sent us to the Northern Thai section.


We passed the stage.



And this is what things look like pretty much. Lots of people sitting around under the blue tarps. It's really hot and humid.


Finally I found my group. It was good to see people I recognized and who recognized me. But everyone was friendly to us, even those who had no idea why I was there.


They were cooking lunch at this point.

And checking to see what news about the demonstration was in the newspaper.


And resting.



Here's the laundry area. I know my group left Thursday night and
today is Tuesday, so they've been here a while.



Here's the water and shower area. Also a nearby hotel was letting them take showers for 5 or 10 Baht a head if I remember right.




Here are some of the farmers I first met in Petchabul
in early January, and then a few times later.


It's hot out there.



And here's J and Ew (from our office) catching up.

OK, I realize this is just pictures, but it will have to do for now. I'm also going to post a video next. I took these pictures a couple of hours ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.