Friday, May 15, 2009

Alaskan Among Google Doodle Finalists

Google's put up a link to their doodle contest for school kids. Normally I wouldn't promote such a blatant attempt to brainwash kids and get cheap art work, but there's an Alaskan among the finalists.
Geordey Sherrick from Juneau Douglas High School was the Region 10 winner in the grades 10-12 category. From what I can tell from the contest rules, he has already won a trip to New York on May 20.

But now the voting is open to the public, so if you want to vote for him, or any other regional finalist, you can vote here. I happen to think Geordey's is the best of his grade level - simple, clean, and elegant.

There were two state finalists for each level.
The other Alaska 10-12th grade winner is Alexandra Crowder.


The Alaska 7-9th grade winners are:

Kyra Laulainen and


Katherine Seeman


Alaska's 4-6th grade winners are

Michael Parnaell and


Malia Transue



And the Alaska K-3rd grade winners are

Elijah Griffin and

May Geml

Contests with two winners per state are great opportunities for people living in states with small populations like Alaska.

2 comments:

  1. "Blatant attempt to brainwash kids and get cheap art work" ? Hmm... I think you shouldn't call these kids' artwork "cheap". I also don't think that they were "brainwashed" for exercising their art skills... You have missed congratulate them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, I thought about how that probably needed clarification as I wrote it. Getting tens od thousands of kids to concentrate for hours on the Google logo through a contest is a classic way for a company to brand their logo into kids' (and adults') brains. Advertising is a form of brainwahing. Though I also realize that google is probably already well branded.

    You're right I didn't say congratulations, but I believe actions are louder than words. Posting their art work and the comments I made about what I thought of Geordey's all say "Congrats" even if not in so many words.

    And I wasn't degrading the students' work when I said 'cheap'. I was talking about what Google paid for 28,000 (or whatever the total was) potential logos for their blog.

    Sorry I wasn't clearer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.