Saturday, September 12, 2009

Guests to Airport and Checking Out Consumer World







I took our guests to drop off their rental car. Since they wanted to go to McCarthy in Wrangle-St. Elias National Park, they had to get a local company that allowed driving on the McCarthy road. The look of the place was a refreshing change from the standard airport car rental clones. Even on a rainy morning it was bright and cheery.




Coming back from the airport we often pass this giant furniture store that popped up on this corner a few years ago, but we've never gone in.

Still a little embarrassed by the saggy hide-a-bed couch our guests slept on, I decided to just see what Bailey's has to offer. I haven't looked at furniture in Anchorage for many years. I just remember it being expensive and with a limited selection. I didn't get far on this early Saturday visit before Pam asked if I needed any help, coffee, soft drink, etc. I said I was just looking and she left me alone. Later, I did catch Pam and her trainee, DeLynn 'lying down on the job.'







I wandered into what I thought was a small section. Hah! The Home Theater section is bigger than most Anchorage furniture stores. There I ran into Pam and DeLynn again. It looked like I had to retrace my steps and they came along. It was very low key, I think it was clear I wasn't going to buy anything, but they did want to show me around and make sure I saw the waterfall.







Above the waterfall to the second floor is a large rock wall with various birds and other animals. I'm not much of a big time consumer and this is not the kind of place I spend much time, but since I prod others to go places they haven't gone before, I think I have to take my own advice, so there I was.

Most of the furniture is just not my taste, but I thought the prices were reasonable by Anchorage standards, though I can't judge the quality well. And, if nothing else, on a cold wintry day, this store might be a good place to go walking. You can go up and down the stairs and there's lots of room, plus they give you free coffee.

Somehow I feel compelled to say this is not a paid store ad, it's not even an ad. It's just part of Anchorage and so is fair game for this blog. And Pam and DeLynn were delightful hosts.

2 comments:

  1. I've been warned "not to buy anything from Bailey's"... I think related to their return policy if there is a problem - it's not very good. Just an FYI. c

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you should ask Mel about other things regarding Bailey's politics... I don't have all the information. Perhaps she does.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.