Saturday, September 26, 2009

Mickey Belden Memorial Recital



There's lots happening. First we went to Bartlett High School for the health town hall with Sen. Mark Begich. I figure that will be well covered by others so I'll move on to the Mickey Belden Scholarship Fund Recital. It was a hard decision between the concert and the true diversity dinner. But since there were no tickets left for the dinner, the choice was a little easier.

Excerpted from Davebelden.com:
Mickey was a wonderful singer, inspired teacher to countless students, a devoted wife, mother and grandmother, and true friend. She took passionate interest in music, the arts and education. She was a voracious reader and water aerobics fanatic. We’ll miss her wry humor and her open approach to the people she met and to the challenges and opportunities she encountered.

Last night some of Anchorage's finest musicians paid tribute in a fund raising concert. You can see snippets of what you missed in the video. A variety of music from classical to musicals.




You should be able to figure out the music and musicians in the video from The Program:

Suite for three trombones ....................George Belden
Christopher Sweeney, Phil Munger, George Belden

Black Swan ................Giancarlo Menotti
No one is alone .........Stephen Sondheim
Lauren Green, soprano; Mari Hahn, piano

Send in the Clowns .....Stephen Sondheim
Julia Crossman, soprano; Janet Carr-Campbell, piano

Hébé ..............Ernest Chausson
Stasia Jamieson, soprano; Janet Carr-Campbell, piano

Violin Sonata, Op. 18............Richard Strauss
Walter Olivares, violin; timothy Smith, piano

Coming Home.................Arthur Sullivan
Kate Egan, soprano; Marlene Bateman, mezzo soprano,; Janet Carr-Campbell, piano

Smanie Implacabile ............W. A. Mozart
Katie Stevens, mezzo soprano;
Zawei Duette für Violine und Klarinette ...........Paul Hindemith
Mark Wolbers, clarinet; David Belden, violin

Gesang Weylas ..................Hugo Wolf
Marlene Bateman, mezzo soprano; Janet Carr-Campbell, piano

Take Me to the World ................Stephen Sondheim
Linda Porter, soprano;

Embraceable You ...................George Gershwin
I Get a Kick Out of You...........Cole Porter
Julia Crossman, soprano; Janet Carr-Campbell, piano

La Rosa y el Sauce .............Carlos Guastavina
Meditation (Thais) ............Jules Massenet
Walter Olivares, violin; Timothy Smith, piano

Do you love me? .........Jerry Bock
Mickey Belden, mezzo soprano; Michael More, tenor; Janet Carr-Campbell, piano (recording played with black stage)

1 comment:

  1. Mickey was my music teacher. I was not good, but after I sang the first time, she asked how I thought I did and I said I did terrible and she said something to the effect of, "But didn't you have FUN? Go home and sing for your KIDS! Sing for your husband! Sing because of the life you have in you!" I aced the class because I loved singing and was really bad-- I think she liked that combination!

    I had a class with her husband 15/20 years ago and she came in to sing and I think I liked watching him watch her sing as much as I liked the class.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.