Friday, October 23, 2009

Seven Months, Ten Days in Captivity

New York Times journalist David Rohde's account of his capture by the Taliban appears in five parts in the Times. Besides being compelling reading, it also gives a glimpse of life in Taliban controlled territory in Pakistan - at least the small part a captive might experience. Here's a brief excerpt from Part I.



While one guard pointed his Kalashnikov at me, the other took my glasses, notebook, pen and camera. I was blindfolded, my hands tied behind my back. My heart raced. Sweat poured from my skin.

“Habarnigar,” I said, using a Dari word for journalist. “Salaam,” I said, using an Arabic expression for peace.

I waited for the sound of gunfire. I knew I might die but remained strangely calm.

Moments later, I felt a hand push me back toward the car, and I was forced to lie down on the back seat. Two gunmen got in and slammed the doors shut. The car lurched forward. Tahir and Asad were gone and, I thought, probably dead.
For the whole story click here.

2 comments:

  1. The headline suggested that the post might provide details of Bristol Palin's 2007-08 house arrest during her pregnancy with TriG.

    But a most informative article took the place of what I was expecting to see...

    Mrs. Tarquin Biscuitbarrel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't understand why journalist are going to so dangerous places.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.