Sunday, December 13, 2009

Houston Elects Gay Mayor, Anchorage Falls Behinder and Behinder



From today's Sunday New York Times:

Houston Is Largest City to Elect Openly Gay Mayor



Published: December 12, 2009
HOUSTON — Houston became the largest city in the United States to elect an openly gay mayor on Saturday night, as voters gave a solid victory to the city controller, Annise Parker. . .

With all precincts reporting, Ms. Parker, the city controller, had defeated Mr. Locke 53 percent to 47 percent.

A month ago Salt Lake City ok'd a gay rights ordinance.  

But Anchorage is still being bullied by Jerry Prevo.  When will we catch up with the 20th Century? 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I don't know, I am not sure I would vote for a homosexual person. I have no problems with them as long as they don't show it to me. I would find it irritating if homosexuals would kiss openly in front of me or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men in a number of European countries kiss each other on the cheek as a form of greeting. I'm sure that doesn't bother you.

    Why do you think a same-sex couple kissing would bother you more than a male-female couple kissing?

    But since mayors don't often kiss in public anyway (except for babies) I think you can vote for a gay candidate if he or she is more qualified than the other candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I take it, Ropi, you were very uncomfortable when Bush kissed and held hands with his Saudi Prince pal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't care with Bush but I would feel ashamed if a Hungarian politician did that. In Hungary men shake hands usually. I do not kiss on the cheek. In Hungary it is quite rare, at least I haven't seen it a lot. So I hope Russians are not very strict about kissing if I plan to go there.

    You know I have been brought up in a not very religious family but we kind of kept Roman Catholic rules and the church is not really keen on same-sex relationship and I was educated in a way that male-female relationships are normal.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.