Friday, January 15, 2010

ADN Outsources to Philippines

I forgot to mention this.  When we canceled our Anchorage Daily News  home delivery before we left.  It took a while to get the operator who turned out to be in the Philippines.  Last time we canceled was in October last year and I didn't notice then that the person wasn't in Anchorage.  Maybe it was already outsourced.  I understand that businesses do this to save money by centralizing their phone answering services nationally and I understand that the ADN is owned by McClatchy.  But still, calling to tell your local newspaper should temporarily stop delivery being answered by someone in the Philippines seems a bit much.  I wonder how much they save by doing that?  And what happened to the person who used to do that in Anchorage? 

2 comments:

  1. Steve,

    ADN has been outsourced to the Philippines for, at least, the last three years. I learned this when I called early one morning to report my newspaper not being delivered.

    I found it mind-boggling that I lived across the street from ABT and was speaking with someone in the Philippines that would, in turn, contact someone in Anchorage to deliver my newspaper.

    How is it cost-effective and, morally right, to take a job from someone in Anchorage to employ someone in the Philippines??

    I lost another large measure of respect for the ADN, at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the local person is now the one ringing every doorbell in sight, trying to convince whoever answers that they should have a personal subscription to ADN in order to save the newspaper (subscribe at the office isn't good enough and neither is reading it on-line or using the ads on-line)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.