Friday, September 17, 2010

Cost-Effective Justice

Alaska Common Ground is bringing to Anchorage
  • a Republican State Legislator - Jerry Madden - who, they say, led a successful reform of the criminal justice system in Texas;  
  • Criminal Justice Consultant to the Department of Corrections’ Prisoner Re-entry Task Force - Linda Mills
  • a President Emeritus of the for State Courts - Judge Roger Warren - who will talk about evidenced-based sentencing practices.  
  •  
 I know, you didn't know that the criminal justice system had been reformed in Texas.  Isn't that the state that has the most people in Death Row?   I guess it's time to get my Texas prison stereotypes adjusted.   


Anyway, Saturday you can learn everything you want to know about this topic for free at Marston Theater in Loussac Library, 9am - 4:30.  


But I don't think they're going to handcuff you to the seats, so you can probably come late and/or leave early if you can't spend the whole day.  I won't be there because it's Yom Kippur and I'll be fasting and thinking about how I can be a better human being in the coming year.









[I ran into some Alaska Common Ground members back in August planning this forum and took the photo then.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.