Friday, March 30, 2012

Police Bust City Hall Sidewalk Protesters - $1000 Fine

Thursday Morning Anchorage City Hall
Brett (see, if I were a real journalist, I would have made sure I'd gotten his name spelled out - it might be Brent, I'm not sure) told me it was $75 for illegal camping and $1000 for 'use of a public space without a permit.'  He looked for the citations but couldn't find them.

Yesterday (Thursday) there were sleeping bags for about ten and I was told about six had spent the night.  The 72 hour notice expired Sunday night and I spoke to protester John Martin Monday morning. 

On Tuesday the mayor brought John Martin coffee.  I was wondering when the police were going to come and take things.  Some speculated he was going to wait until after next Tuesday's election.

The police came Thursday night.  You can listen to John and Brett report what happened in the video, which I got this morning on the walk from the bus terminal to the redistricting board meeting.





And to Anon, who asked, in a comment on the post about the mayor bringing John coffee, why I couldn't have waited to post that (which made the mayor look human) until after the election.  Maybe this post answers your question.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this follow up post. Reminds me of the fable, "A Little boy and the Rattlesnake": The boy carefully picked up the snake, took it close to his chest, and carried him back to the woods, to his home to die. Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!" The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.